When will my order ship
Depending on the order you placed, there will be different shipping times. (As of March 1st, 2018)
- Ready to ship or Market items will ship the next business day.
- Inserts take 3-5 workdays before shipping.
- Leather accessories take 1-3 weeks before shipping.
- Made to order Falcon Travelers take 2-3 Months before shipping.
- Made to order Falcon Travelers with custom Artwork will go on a wait list and will be handled in order of position on the list. (check out the Painting 101 page)
The item with the longest shipping time will determine when your order will be shipped. Please keep in mind that these are estimated times based on normal production volumes. We are a small shop, with all handmade products, mostly made to order leather notebooks. When the order amount is more than we can handle in a regular fashion, the time to make the items (before shipping) will increase.
Days are based on workdays and exclude weekends or Dutch National Holidays.
How long does it take after shipping to get to me
Depending on where in the world the parcel has to go to it can take a while to get there. Wind and weather permitting it will get there in the below estimated times:
- For the Netherlands this usually 1-2 workdays.
- For European countries this is usually 3-5 workdays.
- For the USA and the rest of the world this is usually 1-3 weeks
Depending on mail and customs in your country it can take longer to get there. There is no guarantee your parcel will get there in the estimated times listed above.
Do you have Free shipping
We have Free shipping based on amount spend per order. This minimum amount varies based on location.
We reserve the right to send multiple orders with free shipping to the same address as one parcel.
- The Netherlands: Free shipping on orders over €100 (ex VAT).
- EU: Free shipping on orders over €200 (ex VAT).
- The rest of the world: Free shipping on orders over €200 (ex VAT).
Will I get a tracking number
After your order or partial order has been marked fulfilled you will receive an email notification.
- Regular mail is for small items that will fit through the mailbox slot. There is NO tracking information.
- Parcel w/o T&T has no tracking information.
- Registered mail does have a Tracking information. You will receive a separate notification email with the tracking link.
How do I change the currency
You can change the currency by selecting your currency from the drop-down list.
On Desktop, at the top next to the cart icon.
On Mobile, at the bottom of the menu.
Do I have to pay VAT
Falcon Travelers is based in the Netherlands and subject to Dutch and EU laws.
VAT is based on the shipping address.
We are obliged to charge VAT on Business (B) to Customer (C) transactions withing the EU.
Within the Netherlands we are also obliged to charge VAT on B to B transactions. We don't have to charge VAT For B to B transactions to other EU countries.
All transactions that ship product to outside EU countries (B to C and B to B) we don't have to charge VAT.
What are all the paper sizes and how do they compare to each other
Common paper and notebook sizes (updated per Oct 7, 2017)
- A and B Sizes are ISO sizes, unless otherwise indicated!
- B6 Slim is a slim version of B6 JIS (Japanese B size)
What are all the leather notebook sizes
Falcon Travelers Notebook sizes and insert sizes (sizes updated on Oct 7, 2017)
- TN sizes are with OPEN Falcon Traveler or Hobo cover.
- Indicated spine is included in the width of the notebook
- Classic and Classic plus sizes will hold 3-4 60 page inserts
- Professional, Business and Executive will hold 2-3 60 page inserts. Pockets will add about an insert thickness to the cover when filled.
- TN sizes are after cutting and before burnishing edges.
- Because everything is handmade , sizes may vary slightly.
- A and B Sizes are ISO sizes, unless otherwise indicated!
- B6 Slim is a slim version of B6 JIS (Japanese B size).
- Folio covers are not cover on cover, if you like to use cover on cover, please add 1 XL-h add-on to your order!
What do those abbreviations mean
The sizing of a Falcon Travelers Notebook is often indicated with abbreviations. Here's a list with the most common ones.
- TN short for Travelers Notebook Cover
- HN short for Hobo Notebook Cover or Folio cover
- RB short for Ringbound Cover
- PP short for Passport size
- FN short for Fieldnotes or Pocket size
- PS short for Personal size
- RS short for Regular or Standard size
- XL short for Extra Large, adds 2 cm to the spine of your notebook
- LMC short for Large Moleskine Cahier size
- XLMC short for Extra Large Moleskine Cahier, do not confuse this with the XL option, this is a completely different size from the LMC size
- USL US letter size
What are the available styles
You can choose from 5 different styles Falcon Travelers.
- Classic Plus (Classic style with stitching)
Below you can see the configurations of these different styles and the elastic threading configuration for them.
There are 3 different style Falcon Hobo covers
The Falcon Hobo's are slightly taller and wider than their Falcon Traveler counterparts
What are the different threading options for the Falcon Traveler Classic
The Falcon Traveler Classic and Classic Plus each have a different standard Threading option.
- Classic standard is Vertical (2 long and 2 short elastics)
- Classic plus standard is Horizontal (4 long elastics)
Can I customize my Falcon Traveler
You can continue to customize your Falcon Traveler by choosing one or more of the Customization options available on the customization page.
- XL your Traveler
- Add pen-loops
- Make it a Tri-fold
- Add Distressing with paint and light sanding
- Add a Galaxy or make it a "Nikki Retro"
- Make yours a River Song notebook or go for the Sherlock look with the 221B Baker street add-on.
- Add Stamping
- Custom artwork
We also do tooling and several other options, like f.i. our Star Trek option. You can always contact us with any special requests.
Do you offer inserts
We offer notebook inserts for the sizes A7 up to A5.
- Diaries (weekly, monthly and combination of these two)
- Bullet journal inserts (plain, lined, grid, dot-grid and cross-grid)
- Notes inserts (plain, lined, grid, dot-grid and cross-grid)
- Folders with or without pen-loops
We have leather wallet and card-holder inserts for your Falcon Traveler and we also have leather pen cases and other accessories.
What does it take to make a Falcon Notebook
All our Falcon Travelers, Hobos and Ringbound covers are handmade from scratch with traditional leather working techniques. It takes on average 4 hours to make a Falcon Traveler from start to shipping. Depending on size and add-on's requested.
- The leather reaches us as large sheets of un-dyed vegetable tanned leather and is cut, by hand, to the correct size.
- We have too many different styles, sizes and colors to keep a stock of pre-cut and pre-dyed covers and pockets. Therefore each order is cut and processed when it is placed.
- The cut pieces of leather need some extra steps to become a leather cover.
- Rounding the corners
- Beveling the edges
- Adding the logo
- Adding a stitching seam
- Punching the holes for stitching.
- After this they get dyed by hand into the requested color.
- The next customization step will depend on the specific order. Whether there needs to follow some additional treatments for the notebook
- Some have paintings, some have stamping, engraving, tooling or any other add on.
- After this we condition the leather. We brush the rough side and spray it with a suede conditioner. The outside of the cover is either treated with leather oil or Carnauba creme.
- Coffee Latte has a an additional step with Wax conditioning
- Now we have a collection of loose pieces of leather and those need to be sewn together.
- First we have to burnish the edges of the pocket pieces, because those can't be done afterwards.
- Card pockets have to be sewn together before we can put them on the notebook.
- When this is done we can start to glue the pieces together to prep them for sewing.
- After putting the notebooks together we can punch the holes for sewing, so they go through the pockets.
- Now we can finally start sewing the covers. This is done with a saddle stitch, by hand in the traditional leather sewing method. With one (very) long thread and 2 needles.
- Once the covers are sewn, the edges need to get finished, sanded and buffed. Which brings the notebook to a nearly finished state.... Not quite done yet...
- We add the holes for elastics, add the elastics, bookmarks and add the sample insert.
- After all this the Falcon Travelers Notebook is ready for packing and start its travels around the world.